An internet hosting service is a service that governs Internet Servers. This allows various organizations and individuals to provide content to the Internet. Now, the dedicated server is a type of Internet hosting.
In a dedicated server service, the client leases an entire server and does not share it with others. In shared hosting, you inherit the already built environment. You cannot customize it. In the case of a dedicated server, the client has full control over the server, including the choice of OS, hardware, etc.
The Tech-world is booming, any business which is looking to make an online presence needs a website for a start. For a website, you need a web hosting service that will host your website on the Internet. Initially, it is logical to go for shared hosting, but as you progress you need a dedicated server. You need a dedicated server:
- If you are concern about the security of your online business. The threats from viruses, malware, and different attacks are real.
- For managing the high traffic load. The volume of people browsing your webpage has a profound impact on its working.
- If your page loading time is more. A poor rating in loading time means people will not browse your content.
- If you are anticipating a growth in your business and looking for load balancing, you will need a dedicated server.
- To meet the custom programming requirements. This includes running shell scripts, cron jobs, and any custom program.
A dedicated server is actually a physical server with dedicated hardware. Any sensitive data you have is well-protected on a dedicated server. The billing of the dedicated server is to the minute.
If you wish to delete the server, you can wipe clean the data. For the applications requiring high-performance output, a dedicated server is the best bet. Now, if you compare these advantages with any cloud-based hosting, you will see that the dedicated server hosting is way better than cloud-based hosting.
There is nothing dangerous about dedicated servers or any other server hosting services for that matter. You have to learn about some things concerning server management to handle the day to day operations.
Setting up a dedicated Server
- The first thing to do while setting up a dedicated server is to set up the hardware. The best advantage of a dedicated server is that you can customize the server according to your requirements. What kind of processor do you need? Then you need to consider the memory requirements. The storage space limit and various drives associated with it.
- The second thing is to set up the software. Beginning this with which Operating system you want to install? It can be windows, Ubuntu, CentOS, etc. Additional software includes CMS software, mail software, virtualization software, etc.
- Once these two steps are done, you can look for some additional services which would help you in managing the server. Services like security protection, backup solutions, firewalls, and rapid-response monitoring.
The working of a dedicated server is very similar to any of a normal server. A server is a machine that interprets user requests and provides the result to the client. This means that the server is what makes your website, application, game, etc visible.
The design on which this communication is based is request-response design. All the data related to the business is available on the server and whenever a client requests, the server computes the request and responds with the result/solution.
Advantages of a Dedicated Server:
All the resources of a server are at your disposal, so the performance of the server is improved exponentially. The uptime of your website is maximized using a dedicated server.
When using a shared server, there is always a concern for data loss/data theft. In this case, data is secured and safe. The dedicated server also protects your business from different vulnerabilities and attacks.
There is no ceiling in the case of dedicated servers. You can scale the whole business as per your requirements. You don’t need to worry about shared bandwidth, storage problems, etc.
You can easily customize your server to meet your RAM, disk space, processing power, and software needs. You can choose the platform and build on it. In the shared server solutions, there is no flexibility.
Having all the required resources at your disposal makes the software and applications run smoothly. The worry of sharing the bandwidth with other sites is gone and a dedicated server can handle a lot more traffic efficiently.
Value for money
The dedicated servers are not the cheapest. But look at the advantages of the dedicated servers, don’t you think it is an investment worth it. In the long run, the fruits of the dedicated servers are recognizable.
The next important thing is Dedicated Server Management. Installing and running the dedicated server are two different things. When you run a dedicated server, you need to know the basics, including remote power control, bandwidth control, and rescue mode.
If you don’t know these terms, then you will have to hire someone, learn from them, or trust the management of your server to an expert.
There is a solution if you think managing your server is going to be a problem. Many companies provide server management services, experts with all the knowledge and understanding of the servers. In this way, you can concentrate on what you do best, the business part of the process. Also, you can learn from the experts about the management of the server. You can learn from online content as well.
A dedicated server is actually a physical server with dedicated hardware. A dedicated server is more efficient as compared to the cloud-based server and shared physical server. It offers features like flexibility, quick page-load, high bandwidth, protection from vulnerabilities, scalability, and data safety.
The working of a dedicated server is similar to any physical server. The client sends the request to the server and it responds with an answer. The server is what makes your website, web application, business, or game visible.
After installing the server, the next part is management. You can learn from the experts about managing the server or just hire someone who understands the working of a server. In the long run, having a dedicated server will always pay you dividends.