Many people over the years have managed to create successful YouTube channels which later on turn to be their work career. There are thousands of videos uploaded to YouTube hourly and the number of users that watch videos on this platform is growing day by day even faster than Facebook. If someone tells you that it is too late to start your YouTube career because of the high competition and low chances of success, just ignore them.
It is still possible to turn your hobby or the thing you love into your career and make money by monetizing YouTube videos. In this article, we will go through some of the things you need to consider before jumping into the vlogging world.
- Your Motivation
YouTube allows freedom and you can create videos about whatever you like, but the whole process is hard and you have to work constantly. This is why you need to have proper motivation and passion for the thing that you would do. Your YouTube channel has to cover three key elements in order to succeed, such as:
- Great topic coverage
- Target Audience
- Reason for existence
You have to be sure about your passion and motivate yourself to start only with making content that you feel good about. Your creativity does not have limits, so you can make channel covering topics from college football betting, to make up tutorials. Just make sure you choose the content that you feel most comfortable covering.
- Video Uploading Schedule
Once you have worked out the type of channel you will create and the target audience, the next thing you need is an uploading schedule. As we mentioned, this is a continuous process that requires long-term decisions. You may be good uploading one video per day now, but can you imagine yourself doing that for the next year?
Be careful, once you are in this game and start gaining subscribers, you have to keep them updated and maintain the same schedule in the future.
- Figure out your Substance and Style
Many people argue about “substance over style” but the truth is that they are both crucial for building a successful channel. Do not follow your favorite vloggers on YouTube and copy their style, try creating something new and your subscribers will appreciate it.
Online presence is also very important, and there are many people who went missing for a couple of days or months and their channels were never the same. People nowadays easily lose interest, which is why you have to keep them updated every day.
- Equipment For Making Videos
Well, most of the highly successful channels on YouTube, for example PewDiePie, started making low-quality videos at first and moved to more professional equipment and video editing. However, nowadays it is very hard to succeed if you do not have the right equipment. The quality of your videos is essential for gaining popularity but you can still build your way up as you start to see that the idea of the channel is working.
The things that you will need are:
- A high-quality DSLR camera, mirrorless camera, HD Webcam or use a smartphone since they can produce high-quality videos. You can move on to the more professional stuff later in your career.
- Tripod is where you will position your camera. Try finding the best viewing angle to make the user experience better.
- The microphone is also very important just because you want your audience to understand you easily. Most of the cameras come with build-in microphone but they are terrible. You should get external microphone and record the audio separately and after fuse them together.
- Green Screen is something that you use to make the background disappear. Depending on the channel, for example, if you are steaming a game, you will definitely need one.
- Screen Capture Software is something that allows you to record your own screen for tutorials or gaming. OBS Studio is free software and it is the most used software for video capture.
- Promoting your YouTube Channel
As we mentioned there are thousands of videos uploaded every hour, and if you think that someone will find your video that easily, think again. Many YouTubers make videos every day and have trouble reaching 1,000 subscribers without promotion. You must find a way to promote your videos on other places and gain subscribers.
You can start with:
- Social Media
- Forums (like Reddit)
- Collaborate with other channels
These are some of the things that you have to take into consideration before you start making videos. Becoming a YouTuber has its advantages and disadvantages, but the first thing that you will need in order to succeed is your passion for making videos. Without it, all of this effort will be for nothing and your channel will not see the light at the end of the tunnel.