Listen up folks, it’s almost 2020. Your dad’s viral marketing strategies just aren’t going to cut it anymore. Billboards, bumper stickers, TV spots, and catchy jingles won’t get customers these days. With Millennials and Gen Z representing a larger and larger portion of the market, these savvy and tech-connected consumers want interactive graphs, viral blogs, informational videos, and other forms of online content that gets them hooked and keeps them scrolling.
If your business is still relying on the jingle you wrote in the 90’s for local TV, you’re going to run into some serious brand development dead-ends soon. In this post, we’ll cover what your brand needs to succeed in the 21st century. Trust us: digital marketing may seem daunting at first, but once you see that conversion rate skyrocket and your bottom line boosted to the next level, you’ll wonder why you were pouring money into that sad, old billboard over the interstate all these years. So, it’s time to learn a bit more about the new era of marketing. Shall we begin?
Email: you know it, you love, it, you’re probably underutilizing it. That’s right, email can be used for way more than reminding your accountant to hurry up sorting out your ledger, or wishing your estranged grandma happy birthday. With the right email marketing campaign, you can boost brand awareness across multiple platforms because people receive emails on their work computers, their phones, their tablets, and even their smart watches. How do you get started?
- Make an account with an email marketing service.
- Figure out your target demographic – i.e., who is buying your product?
- Start a newsletter to keep people informed about important developments in your area.
- Max out conversions by putting strategic links to your products in your newsletter.
Hey, you’ve heard of Google right? Of course you have. Well, did you know that in addition to being the world’s biggest search engine, it’s also a powerhouse of advertising potential? Let us clue you into something called SEO. That stands for search engine optimization, and it’s the practice of getting your brand higher up on Google’s search results. Nobody wants to buy something off a link they found on the 8th page of their search. Hard pass. By getting your brand on the first page, you will seriously start seeing the revenue pour in.
One way to make money off SEO is by hiring the right PPC consultant. Clicks mean everything in the world of digital marketing, so getting your ad on the first page of Google search results is a great way to make sure that tons of people will click on your site. Is it a big investment up front? It can be. But the amount you’ll see in returns will make your accountant’s eyes water with joy.
Remember earlier when we said that Millennials and Gen Z couldn’t care less about billboards and TV ads? So, what do they care about then? Content. Whether it’s Tik Tok or YouTube or Instagram, you can count on these youngsters engaging with ads in a space that feels natural, native, and unobtrusive. Scrolling through their feed and seeing their friends in cool outfits at cool places, seeing an ad for jeans with a similar picture slid in will feel natural. Plus, if the product looks fitting, they’ll be more likely to click on the post. Here are some quick and easy tips for getting started with content marketing:
- Start a blog: If your company doesn’t have a blog with explainers, how-to articles, and news updates, get one up ASAP. The more shares on social media you get, the more likely people will become familiar with your brand.
- Make social media accounts: People want to be able to reach you where they feel most comfortable. If they have a question about their product, they might Tweet you and ask. You should have an official account so you can respond.
- Video marketing: Another great way to get started is with a professional video series that explains your products or shows off the lifestyle you offer.
Getting started in digital marketing may seem like a dangerous expedition into uncharted territory, but by following this guide and understanding how to build your brand online, you’ll start seeing returns in no time.