Why Do I Get Acne as an Adult
The most common period of life when people get acne is at the onset of puberty. This is also the time when your hormone levels fluctuate a lot causing first oily skin and eventually prevailing breakouts. Why?
There is a strong relationship between even temporal fluctuations pf people sex hormones (estrogen and androgens and even progesterone) and the production of sebum (skin oil) by our skin sebaceous glands. When the hormones level increases it stimulate sebaceous gland secretions. Too much sebum clogs the pores and creates a great breeding grounds for bacteria leading to inflammation and even cyst
An elevation in these hormones can lead to the overstimulation of the sebaceous glands, and as a result to an over-production of sebum (skin oil) and the onset of acne formation. Too much sebum together with dead skin cells and dirt eventually leads to clogged pores, and this provides an ideal condition for the growth of bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes) which secrete chemicals into the skin that stimulate an inflammatory response. These inflammatory responses are pimples, cysts, blackheads, and whiteheads.
In short, acne breakout may be experienced by women and men of any age.
What If I do Not Treat My Acne?
- Unfortunately and against some common believes acne WILL NOT TREAT ITSELF. Untreated -acne may lead to permanent scarring, marks and skin discolorations. It may also cause depression, social withdrawal and even lower self-esteem.
- Furthermore – acne cannot really be treated by topical products so the level of failure that many of acne sufferers experience using those products and experiencing a repeating bound of breakouts for years – may exasperate the situation.
- Acne can really ONLY be treated from the inside out by targeting over production of sebum.
How do I Know if I Have “Hormonal” Acne?:
- You are an Adult and still have breakouts
- Acne flare-ups preceding or coincident with your menstrual cycle( women)
- A history of irregular menstrual cycles (indicating hormonal fluctuations/women)
- Increased facial oiliness (sebaceous gland over secretion/ women and men)
- Hirsutism (excessive growth of hair, or hair in unusual places which is known to be induced by androgens; women and men)
- Hair Loss) women and men)
- Elevated levels of certain androgens in the blood stream ) women and men
Some Not So Cool Treatment Options
As acne in general, and specifically hormonal acne are caused by an internal imbalance the only way to treat it is indeed from the inside out. Unfortunately, too easily a widely used treatment for hormonal acne in women is the use of hormones, especially contraceptives that carry a number of potential serious effects that recently have been tragically illustrated by Diane-35 (the birth control pill used for acne treatment banned in January 2013 from Europe, the Americas and most other countries for causing deaths and other serious adverse effects).
Women & Men
Accutane- has so adverse site effects that has been taken of the market and is a subject of Class Action Suite https://www.drugwatch.com/accutane/lawsuits/
Antibiotics: address only selected symptoms – inflammation and infection and their overs -use may lead to the proliferation of penicillin-resistant bacteria and number of GI issues and skin oversensitive for UV rays (skin cancer)
A BETTER WAY to Treat Acne and How to choose the best treatment for you different acne treatment systems
AcnEase® is an all-natural herbal medicine that specifically inhibits the impact of fluctuating hormone levels on sebaceous gland secretions. AcnEase® does not affect hormone levels per se but rather modulates their effect on sebaceous gland secretions. This mechanism of action helps explain why AcnEase® is equally effective in treating adolescent and adult acne. Likewise, AcnEase can be used by men and women. Cystic acne in women is often associated with increased levels of androgens. AcnEase® has proven to be extremely effective in the treatment of women with cystic acne further supporting the products ability to inhibit hormonal influence on sebaceous gland excess production of sebum. AcnEase® is the safe alternative all women suffering from hormonal acne especially those that do not want to use OC, that stopped taking OC in order to start their families and experience acne flare-ups or those that have recently had children and are experiencing changes in their skin with periodic acne. Most importantly, AcnEase has been clinically tested for acne treatment and prevention and safety. By addressing the causes of acne, it will prevent future outbursts allowing your skin to be clear and to begin the healing process for skin scars and acne marks.